Friday, August 14, 2015

Back to the piano bench

At age 70, I finally started my retirement phase. I kept asking the Lord what and where I can serve you? Without any clue at the beginning, i was approached to be a discussion leader for the upcoming CBS. I said ok, it is about time for me to give back after so many years at BSF and CBS.

Then one day during coffee hours after worship, the choir director came and asked me if I can be the pianist for the English choir. I said, "What?" I have not been a formal pianist for more than 33 years and I only played for my own pleasure. I told her i need a bit of time to digest this request. My training was always in the classical, but not all those "funny rhythm". Actually, back in April, the Lord has already planted the seed in my heart to go back to my piano when we attended a concert at the cruise to Mediterranean. I even told my siblings, it is time for me to get back onto the bench. But had no idea that back to the bench means started a new serving opportunity with the choir.

In the past, I have been an accompanist for many years in my yesterday years. Once we moved to Seattle, there are so many accomplished pianists at church, so my gift is not needed in this area. I took the back seat and only played as needed. Though I have been very experienced to be the accompanist for any choir in Los Angeles, but with all these contemporary music, it is a different story. The ECC Choir drector approached me recently after I retired...I told the Lord that I am willing to give it a try if He helps me. So I got the music, mine o mine, they are different. Lots of rhythm, key changes and totally not my familiar style. Then I asked the Lord to give me a learning spirit, at this age of 70, I can still learn. My poor neighbors will have to suffer through my practise. At first, it did not sound too right, too many key changes, and the rhythem was off. Little by little, I feel more confident and able to play through those songs with emotion and dynamic. The phrase "not your ability, but your availability" kept me going. How true! I have no excuse, the Lord has given me years of learning and practise, though the gift needs to be taken down from the shelve, dust it, shake it and oil it to make it work again. I am willing, so God is doing His work through me. What a joy that is. May my serving not to glorify myself, but to testify God's precious provision.

Thank you Jesus for all these opportunities, may I be faithful in serving You.

No comments:

Post a Comment